Tanya Plibersek, the Minister for the Environment and Water, and the Federal Member for Sydney, will address the National Press Club of Australia for her State of Environment Address.
Between 2013 and 2019, Tanya was Deputy Leader of the Opposition and Deputy Leader of the Federal Parliamentary Labor Party. From 2013 to 2016, Tanya was also the Shadow Minister for Foreign Affairs and International Development. From 2017 to 2022 Tanya was the Shadow Minister for Education and the Shadow Minister for Women.
Tanya served as a Cabinet minister in the Gillard and Rudd Governments. Tanya was Minister for Health, Minister for Medical Research, Minister for Housing, Minister for Human Services, Minister for Social Inclusion, and Minister for the Status of Women.
Tanya grew up in the Sutherland Shire of Sydney and is the daughter of migrants from Slovenia. Like many newly arrived migrants, Tanya’s parents helped build the country in which they made their new home. Her father worked on the Snowy River hydroelectric scheme in the 1950s.
Tanya holds a BA Communications (Hons) from the University of Technology Sydney (UTS) and a Master of Politics and Public Policy from Macquarie University. Before entering Parliament, Tanya worked in the Domestic Violence Unit at the NSW Ministry for the Status and Advancement of Women. Elected to Federal Parliament as the Member for Sydney in 1998, she spoke of her conviction that ordinary people working together can achieve positive change.
Tanya lives in Sydney with her husband Michael and her three children, Anna, Joseph and Louis.
Terms and conditions:
By purchasing tickets, you indicate your acceptance of the following terms and conditions of sale.
1. You are not to attend the event if:
- a. you are suffering any symptoms of disease caused by COVID-19;
- b. you have tested positive to COVID-19 in the past 14 days;
- c. you believe that you may have been exposed to or may test positive for COVID-19; or
- d. you have been advised or required to self-isolate or quarantine.
If you cannot attend the event by reason of this clause, please contact the National Press Club on firstname.lastname@example.org prior to the event to discuss options
2. If tickets are canceled by the National Press Club or the Speaker for any reason in connection with COVID-19, you will be entitled to a refund or exchange.
3. Once confirmed, your ticket and any transaction fee will not be refunded or exchanged, except as provided for above or as required by law (including the Australian Consumer Law).
*Details provided by speakers organisation