Australian Greens Leader Adam Bandt gives his Leaders 2022 Election Address to the National Press Club of Australia on the Greens and the Balance of Power in the upcoming election.
Adam Bandt is the Federal Member for Melbourne and Leader of the Australian Greens. Adam is the Greens spokesperson for the Climate Emergency and Energy, Employment & Industrial Relations, Public Sector and Foreign Affairs.
Adam was elected to the Federal Parliament in 2010, making history as the first Green elected to the House of Representatives at a general election.
Adam has served as Deputy Leader under Christine Milne and Richard Di Natale. For a number of years Adam has been the Greens spokesperson on the climate crisis, energy, employment & industrial relations and science, research and innovation. He has previously been the Greens Treasury spokesperson.
In his maiden speech to Parliament, Adam warned of the coming climate emergency. Adam was a key participant in the Gillard minority government’s Multi-Party Climate Change Committee which developed the climate price and established the successful Clean Energy Finance Corporation and the Australian Renewable Energy Agency. It was only because of Adam’s election and the signed agreement with Julia Gillard that the carbon price was introduced, the only time carbon pollution has decreased in Australia.
Before entering Parliament, Adam worked for many years as a public interest and industrial lawyer protecting workers from privatisation and big business. Adam represented some of Australia’s lowest paid workers, working with the current President of the ACTU Michelle O'Neill on legal action against corporate giant Nike to make them responsible for the wages and conditions of workers in their supply chain. Adam also worked to protect the rights of coal workers in the Latrobe Valley after their power stations were privatised. One of Adam’s first acts in Parliament was to introduce a private members bill extending protection for firefighters who contract cancer through their work, which passed into law with unanimous support, becoming one of only 7 private members bills to become law in the past two decades.
Terms and conditions:
By purchasing tickets, you indicate your acceptance of the following terms and conditions of sale.
1. You are not to attend the event if:
- a. you are suffering any symptoms of disease caused by COVID-19;
- b. you have tested positive to COVID-19 in the past 14 days;
- c. you believe that you may have been exposed to or may test positive for COVID-19; or
- d. you have been advised or required to self-isolate or quarantine.
If you cannot attend the event by reason of this clause, please contact the National Press Club on firstname.lastname@example.org prior to the event to discuss options
2. If tickets are canceled by the National Press Club or the Speaker for any reason in connection with COVID-19, you will be entitled to a refund or exchange.
3. Once confirmed, your ticket and any transaction fee will not be refunded or exchanged, except as provided for above or as required by law (including the Australian Consumer Law).
*Blurb provided by speakers organisation